It’s Diabetes Blog Week Day 5. (I skipped day 4.) Thank you, Karen, for inviting us all to another one of your great parties.
Today’s: let’s round out the week by sharing our best diabetes tips and diabetes tricks.
My only tips and tricks are things that are very specific to me, unlikely to have value to anyone else. For example, use 1/3rd cup of Birch Benders gluten free pancake mix, 1 cup of almond flour, two eggs, 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and enough unsweetened almond milk to make a thin pancake batter. Then make two pancakes and use them as bread for a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Store the remaining batter in the fridge for future sandwiches.
And, now that I read Laddie’s Fitbit hacks, I’m adding this FBH of my own: put a better bracelet on over a Fitbit band. I got this snap-on bead-fringed piece of fabric at Kreatelier. I bet a lot of crafty people could make this in their own homes, and easily. Look at that.
(See what I’m saying?)
Need more than a bracelet and a low carb, gluten free pancake sandwich? The richest source of useful tips and tricks is the Friends For Life conference. FFL is not just for fellowship, cocktails, and feeling the feelings! Just as much as those parts, I love the nitty-gritty little things I can hear once, try immediately, and watch work. For this, there is no better FFL speaker than Gary Scheiner.
These are my favorite Gary Scheiner tips and tricks from FFLs 2012, 13, 14, and 15. (Please note, these are from my notes on things he said, not verified, and could be wrong or inaccurate.)
On dosing insulin:
- Bolus a “down payment” 15-45 minutes before your child eats a meal if BG > 80mg/dL. If under 80, bolus when the food is right in front of them. Once you know more specifically the amount they’ll eat you can “pay the balance.” (More insulin.)
- Split the meal—eat half, then eat the rest 60-120 minutes later, even though you bolus for the whole thing at the beginning.
- Vinegar slows the carbs down.
- Sports or vacuuming or lawn chores or walking dog after eating = steadier BG. Activity delays digestion, uses some glucose, makes insulin work faster.
- Warm up the infusion site with activity or a heating pad, or take a shower right after taking insulin to get it working faster.
- When correcting a high, for each up arrow on a Dexcom, add enough insulin to offset an additional 25 mg/dL. (That means for double-up arrows, add enough insulin to offset an additional 50 mg/dL.)
- Fatty foods make us temporarily insulin resistant (“like having Type 2 on top of Type 1”), ergo pizza highs. To overcome insulin resistance after a high fat meal, try adding 40 – 60% to basal for 4 hours in anticipation.
- Glycemic index measures how much of the food becomes BG within 2 hours of eating. Spaghetti’s GI = 37. That means 37% of its carbs will be BG within 2 hours; the other 63% will kick in later.
- Eat the lowest glycemic index part of a meal first; that will slow the rest of the carbs down (eg eat salad first).
- Grape juice is faster than other juices; breakfast cereal is faster than jelly beans; bread is the pits.
- Fast candies (the best ones for treating lows): Spree, Smarties, SweeTarts, Airheads, Nerds, Runts.
- Although fatty, french fries raise BG fast: “It’s hard to slow down a potato”
You will find buckets of original tips and tricks here.