Hope in a Jar

Our soaked Dexcom receiver came back to life. This happened after two months sealed up in a jar with all of the “DO NOT EAT” packets I could scavenge from our assorted shoeboxes and vitamins. I had given up on li’l soggy, but all he needed was a charge-up.

Wet Receiver Resurrection

  • Gather desiccant packets (from shoeboxes, pills, nori, etc.) and a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
  • Place ruined receiver in jar with desiccant packets and screw lid on tight. (I slid open the receiver’s USB port door, thinking this would aid evaporation.)
  • Put it away for a month or more. Forget about it.
  • Plug it in.
  • If it does not light up, put it away for another month. Repeat until it works or has been made obsolete.





  1. skchrisman · February 5, 2016

    I’ll be interested to know if all of soggy’s buttons function properly after a trial run!


  2. Scott E · February 5, 2016

    I wonder if this trick works with my son’s hockey gear. No electronics in there, but the soak leads to a nasty stink. I’ll need lots and lots of DO NOT EAT packets. And a really big jar.

    Glad to hear of your receiver’s resuscitation.


    • Mary Margaret · February 10, 2016

      I haven’t looked into it, but sometime told me you can buy hire quantities of extra strength febreeze. Was complaining about cross country gear last fall, probably would work on hockey gear too.


  3. carmygee · February 5, 2016

    Yes! That’s always a nice feeling. I used rice on mine but it was a very brief dunk in the dog’s soapy bath water (note: there are better places to store your dexcom than on your person while bathing your dog) so it may have been just the fact that it didn’t get too wet.


  4. rickphilips · February 13, 2016

    Restoring from quick dunks is more trail and error than science i have found. I once had an ice pack soak a cell phone. It was liquid toast. I took the case off and got a large amount of water out. ugggh it is over, i figured.

    Well not so fast. I made a call and then two , three finally a month of use and it works great. Wow out of the woods, right? Not really. The phone died two months after the incident in a puff of smoke. Well, i got two months.

    i really enjoyed your item and I referred it to the new TUDiabetes web site for inclusion. I hope that reference provides additional readership.



Please say things:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s