Shes’s making a list. She’s checking it seventeen times.
I need to add:
- Ketone pee strips (call CVS for refill)
- The school district’s required form for kids with T1d (probably the nurse has a blank one)
- Some kind of supplemental, B-specific instructions (I need to write this)
- Xeroxed pages from pump manual (for showing the nurse how to change the infusion set—or is that asking too much?)
- Print this brilliant Dexcom flow chart to help explain how/when Bubs might want to veer from the written treatment plan
- Spare AA lithium battery
Things I need to understand:
I added in new information in hot pink. It’s mostly notes to self.
- Does the nurse remain in the building during after school activities? No. Parent should be in town & accessible by phone.
- During cross-country practice/racing, does the T1d athlete carry everything along in a small back pack (bounce, bounce) or what? (Is any sport worse than cross-country in this way, since the participant must run quite far away from the place where he would ordinarily drop a supply bag?) Depends on the coach and the kid.
- What about the bus. The bus driver. What do I do. The bus driver is nice and won’t mess juice/candy.
- What does the nurse communicate to B’s teachers about diabetes and what should I do? The nurse makes sure they know everything they need to know.
- If B is low, does B walk to the nurse or does the nurse walk to B?An adult accompanies B to the nurse’s office or the nurse comes to B.
- Can he just test himself in the classroom, since he’ll have testing stuff/Glucolift in his backpack anyway? Yes.
- Do I need to think be thinking about anything for celiac, like keeping cupcakes in a school freezer? I hate cupcakes in school. I mentioned celiac but forgot to ask about standard cupcake procedure. My idea was: each gluten food/cupcake in class (uneaten) = bonus 30 minutes of video game time. (?)
What else is there?
- Everything else
- B is one of FIVE (!) students with T1d this year
- The nurse is suuuuuper nice without being slick or annoying
*I’m trying. Middle-cal looks like middle-KAL, while Middle-cle looks more like MID-dle-kuhl, which is what I want it to be, but it looks wrong.